Lexington Historical Museum - Hours & Information
112 S. 13th St.
Lexington, MO 64067
June-September: Sun.-Fri., 1 p.m.-4 p.m.; Sat., 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; May and October: Sat., 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun., 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
Admission: $3; ages 6-18, $1.50; 6 and under, free. Group rates available.
For more details, call the phone number listed above or call 660-259-6313.
The museum has been housed in the 1846 Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Lexington since it's opening in 1976. The museum has a collection of early Lexington pictures. It also has on display an Overland Mail Company Bible as one of its many items related to the Pony Express mail service. It also contains historical memorabilia related to steamboats, coal mining, Osage Indians, and the Wentworth Military Academy.
A sword that James A. Mulligan turned over in surrender, but later allowed to keep per orders of General Sterling Price, is on display. The historical records on the sword show it was stolen by a young boy shortly after Mulligan's surrender and hidden in his father's farm near Lexington. It was returned to a lawyer around 1900. The lawyer returned it to the Mulligan family in 1912 to the widow of Colonial Mulligan. Her daughter returned it to the city of Lexington in 1917, where it stayed in a bank vault for 50 years. The family later donated the elaborately decorated sword to the Lexington Historical Museum in 1967. The sword was originally presented to Mulligan by the city of Chicago.
The museum is located in downtown Lexington, where there are over one hundred pre-Civil War buildings. The city has more pre-Civil War homes and buildings than any other community in Missouri. The battlefield where the Battle of Lexington of the American Civil War took place is at this location.
Heritage Park/ Saluda Memorial
Lexington Historical Museum owns and operates the Heritage Park in Lexington, Missouri. The park commemorates the 1852 Saluda steamboat disaster. Seventy-five Mormon immigrants were killed. There is a memorial bell tower there.
Lexington Tourism Bureau | 1110 Main St. | Lexington, MO 64067 | 660-259-4711 | tourism@VisitLexingtonMo.com
© 2018 Lexington Tourism Bureau | Sitemap